The summer reading program provides enrichment events for local children, age 2 through rising fifth-graders. Our presentations feature music, drama, dance, art, magic and animals and typically draw big crowds. Parents are asked to stay with their children during the events.
Registration for the program will begin June 5, immediately following the kickoff by the Bandana Babes’ Sing-Along. Children are provided with logs in which they may record the names of the books they read over the summer. Lake Winnepesaukah offers all participants in the summer reading program 2-for-1 coupons that may be used for admission to the local amusement park on August 12, 19 or 26 of this year. At the final event of the program, a visit from the Tennessee Aquarium, there will be a drawing held for two complimentary passes to Lake Winnie. Winners must be present to win.
The schedule for the Summer Reading Program is as follows:
- June 5: Join the Bandana Babes for a rousing sing-along, followed by registration.
- July 12: Noah’s Little Ark Petting Zoo and Pony Rides will return with its menagerie of animals.
- July 19: GPS Terpsichord Dancers will perform and teach movement to the children, who are encouraged to wear tutus or leotards.
- June 26: Magician Jacob Cornell will entertain and amaze us with his sleight of hand.
- July 3: Join us for a visit to the Signal Mountain Playhouse where we will be treated to a preview of the summer production, “Shrek: The Musical.”
- July 10: Local artist and teacher Augusta Webb will help each child create a piece of art to take home.
- July 17: Mr. Bill from the Tennessee Aquarium will present “Tropical Treasures” for our young audience. A drawing for free passes to Lake Winnie will also take place, with winners required to be present to win.
Please mark these dates on your calendar for a fun-filled summer at the library!